Fontes Does Not Disclose Primary Report, Places Blame On Contractor

Published: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 7:20pm
Updated: Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 8:16am

Maricopa County Recorder Adrian Fontes said he cannot guarantee there will be no problems in the upcoming November elections, but he has vowed to hold more meetings with the media as the election approaches.

He said he wants to be transparent while addressing the voting problems that occurred with last month’s primaries.

Fontes had blamed some of those problems on an outside contractor, and said they’ve since parted ways.

“We’re going to go back to relying completely on our county employees, because we know that our county employees are dedicated professionals — from health care to the assessor’s department, from the treasurer, to the sheriff. They are dedicated folks who get the job done.”

The contractor has denied blame for the election day problems. An internal report is not being made available to the public. Fontes said attorneys have advised him to wait until all documents have been thoroughly analyzed by auditors.

EDITOR'S NOTE: This story has been updated to clarify quotes.

If you like this story, Donate Now!